Home » Opinion » Editorials
Medicaid questions: Summer school for legislators
A key compromise in the new state budget deal was the establishment of a study committee to examine whether New Hampshire should accept $2.5 billion from the federal government to raise the income eligibility limit for Medicaid.
The Obama administration promises to pay 100 percent of the costs of expansion for the first three years, and almost all of the costs after that.
The Republican Senate is skeptical, both of the consequences of massively expanding an already troubled program and of Washington's record of broken promises. The compromise is a nine-member study committee tasked with finding a New Hampshire solution.
The members of the newly formed study committee all likely have strong feelings on the issue.
They are not likely to learn much this summer that would change their recommendations. But they should take their task seriously and answer some key questions about this expansive decision:
. How much more would New Hampshire hospitals lose by treating thousands of new Medicaid patients? Hospitals are currently suing the state for its low Medicaid reimbursement rates.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 7
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief