Home » News » Public Safety
Epsom teen was attempting to elude police prior to fatal crash early Sunday
Allen Field, 18, was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident on New Rye Road about 1 a.m. Sunday.
A preliminary investigation revealed that an Epsom police officer had attempted to stop the vehicle involved immediately prior to the crash.
"Epsom Police Officer Dana Flanders observed the vehicle behind the Epsom Central School located on Black Hall Road at approximately 1:00 a.m.," State Police said in a statement. "The suspicious location of the vehicle caused Officer Flanders to turn around in attempts to further investigate. When the operator of the vehicle observed Flanders's cruiser, the vehicle took off at an extremely high rate of speed on Black Hall Road traveling towards New Rye Road."
Officer Flanders followed the fleeing GTI for a short time, but ended pursuit realizing he would be unable to catch up, State Police said. A short time later Flanders came upon the wrecked Volkswagen, which had failed to negotiate a turn, striking a tree before coming to rest on the roof.
The accident is under investigation by the State Police Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team. Anyone with information is asked to call the Troop D barracks at 672-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 1
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
- Three firefighters recovering after injuries in fast-moving Claremont house fire - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 0
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 0
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 0
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
- John Stossel: Budget baloney - 0
- Another View - Betsy McCaughey: The Obamacare horror stories are not lies - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth, PSU hit road for tourneys - 0
John Stossel: Budget baloney
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Several union deals on Windham ballots
Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again
House says no to bill to reduce NH meals tax
Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council