Home » News » Public Safety
Epsom teen was attempting to elude police prior to fatal crash early Sunday
Allen Field, 18, was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident on New Rye Road about 1 a.m. Sunday.
A preliminary investigation revealed that an Epsom police officer had attempted to stop the vehicle involved immediately prior to the crash.
"Epsom Police Officer Dana Flanders observed the vehicle behind the Epsom Central School located on Black Hall Road at approximately 1:00 a.m.," State Police said in a statement. "The suspicious location of the vehicle caused Officer Flanders to turn around in attempts to further investigate. When the operator of the vehicle observed Flanders's cruiser, the vehicle took off at an extremely high rate of speed on Black Hall Road traveling towards New Rye Road."
Officer Flanders followed the fleeing GTI for a short time, but ended pursuit realizing he would be unable to catch up, State Police said. A short time later Flanders came upon the wrecked Volkswagen, which had failed to negotiate a turn, striking a tree before coming to rest on the roof.
The accident is under investigation by the State Police Traffic Accident Reconstruction Team. Anyone with information is asked to call the Troop D barracks at 672-3333.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'