Marine Patrol warns of deadly currents as second drowning victim recovered from Merrimack River
Water is running high, with powerful currents often hidden below a calm surface. At the same time, a heat wave is luring people to the water to cool off. It's a deadly combination.
Two drowning incidents have been reported in as many days along the Merrimack River. The body of Gary Lacroix, 59, was recovered Friday in Concord after he apparently slipped into the river's fast-moving waters while retrieving some debris. Early Sunday, the body of an unidentified young man was recovered from the Merrimack in Boscawen after he drowned while swimming late Saturday afternoon.
Also, late Saturday an unidentified Manchester teen was pulled unconscious from Country Pond in Newton. He was taken to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. His condition has not been released.
The Marine Patrol suggests people seek relief from the heat at lakes, ponds or parks with a designated swimming areas and an on-duty lifeguard.
The Marine Patrol is urging anyone paddling a kayak or canoe to wear a life jacket or other personal floatation device. Life jackets also should be worn when tubing.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Guitar Maestro Uli John Roth performs in Londonderry in advance of March Release of 'Scorpions Revisited' a Double-Disc Collection of Re-Imagined Scorpions Classics - 0
- Councilor refuses to let blindness thwart his commitment to Bedford - 0
- Announcing the 2015 Country Megaticket at the XFinity Center - 0
- Tri-state Reciprocal Snowmobile Weekend - 0
- Loon Mountain Resort Hosts Groundbreaking Ski & Snowboard Camp Partnerships - 0
- Londonderry blood drive scheduled for Friday - 0
- More information coming on Plaistow commuter rail station Wednesday - 0
- Peterborough's Rosaly Bass named organic gardener of the year - 0
- Salem selectman vows taxpayers won't pay for railroad ties removal - 0
Bobcat resurgence raises trapping talk
UNH exhibit aims to convey realities of war
Granite State volunteers honor MLK's legacy
'Interview' buzz spreads to NH
A gun fight: One the GOP should pick
Obamacare ‘surprise: More tax bill headaches
Entitlement fights: Losing the big picture
For many, snow day means no-pay day