Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
On Baseball: Conway's Jeff Locke is an All-Star
The 25-year-old rookie starting pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates was named to the National League All-Star roster Saturday and will participate in the game in New York on Tuesday, July 16 at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets.
Locke is second in the MLB in ERA, trailing only Clayton Kershaw (1.93) of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Locke is scheduled to start Monday at home against Oakland.
Second baseman Dustin Pedroia and injured starting pitcher Clay Buchholz were named as reserves.
Red Sox relief pitcher and current closer Koji Uehara is among five nominees for the Final Vote award. The player who receives the most votes at mlb.com will be selected as the final player on the roster.
"I'm the one that sends him from second (base) to home, first to home, so I have to know ahead of time if he's not a hundred percent," Allenson said.
"Those guys (in Lansing) are grinding in a real small city and they don't know what Double-A and Triple-A are like," He said. "To go down and share what I've been through, pitchers I've faced, it's cool. It's good to be with the boys, especially since those guys are all my age."WALDEN ADDED TO EL ALL STAR GAME: Fisher Cats pitcher Marcus Walden has been named a 2013 Eastern League All-Star, replacing New Hampshire teammate Sean Nolin, who will not be able to participate due to his regularly scheduled start with the Fisher Cats on Monday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Dartmouth skaters dealt another close loss - 0
- Gaming authority offers regulatory structure - 0
- Portsmouth man gets prison for sex assault of disabled woman - 0
- Wolfeboro nursing home evacuated after minor chemical spill - 0
- Dover woman admits to bank robberies in two states - 0
- Motorists injured in two car collision on Route 9, Spofford - 0
- Arrest made in attempted robbery of Littleton gas station - 0
Symphony NH plans pair of holiday events
Hooksett man arrested on assault charges
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
Budget gets House OK, heads to Senate
Decision to tap F&G habitat fund explained