Treadwell captures Newton's Revenge bicycle race
Dereck Treadwell, of Topsham, ME, won the annual Newton's Revenge bicycle race, up the 7.6 mile Mount Washington Auto Road, in Pinkham Notch, NH, on July 6th, 2013. Mr. Treadwell went on to win the race to the foggy 6,288' summit of Mount Washington, with a time of 58:14. (Dennis Coughlin)
A happy Alec Babala, of Nashua, NH, was the 2nd New Hampshire finisher in the annual Newton's Revenge bicycle race, up the 7.6 mile Mount Washington Auto Road, in Pinkham Notch, NH, on July 6th, 2013. The 21 year old Babala, finished the race to the 6,288' summit of Mount Washington, with a time of 1:16:45. (Dennis Coughlin)
Lea Davison (30) of Jericho, Vt., was the top finisher in the women's division. Her time of 1:05:54 was good enough to place her seventh overall.
Two more 38-year-olds, Timothy Ahearn of Woodstock, Conn., and Timothy Tapply of Shernorn, Mass., finished third and fourth respectively. Ahearn finished in 59:06 and Tapply in 1:01:56. Chris Yura (34, Bryn Mawr, Pa.) rounded out the top five with a time of 1:02:34.
The Newton's Revenge event began in 2006 when the Mount Washington Hillclimb (scheduled for Aug. 17 this year) became so popular that a second race was needed to accommodate the interested racers.
The course records also remained intact. The men's mark is 49:24, set by Tom Danielson of Connecticut in 2002. The women's record is 58:14 and belongs to France's Jeannie Longo (2000).
Wolfeboro's Brad Deshaies (also 14) shared the nod for youngest competitor with Thompson. Deshaies finished 82nd in 1:31:12.
Mt. Washington Auto Road
Newton's Revenge Bicycle Hillclimb Top 25
1. Dereck Treadwell (38, Topsham, Maine) 58:14; 2. Eric Follen (38, Sanford, Maine) 58:18; 3. Timothy Ahearn (38, Woodstock, Conn.) 59:06; 4. Timothy Tapply (38, Sherborn, Mass.) 1:01:56; 5. Chris Yura (34, Bryn Mawr, Pa.) 1:02:34; 6. Erik Vandendries (48, Chestnut Hill, Mass.) 1:05:53; 7. Lea Davison (30, Jericho, Vt.) 1:05:54; 8. James Hayes (18, Wakefield, R.I.) 1:06:55; 9. Mark Johnson (54, Louisville, Colo.) 1:07:22; 10. Kai Wiggins (19, East Greenwich, R.I.) 1:08:35; 11. David O'Keeffe (54, Orchard Park, N.Y.) 1:08:46; 12. John Bayley (44, Watertown, Mass.) 1:08:58; 13. Jonathan Smela (37, Loveland, Colo.) 1:09:25; 14. Benjamin Koyle (42, Lynnfield, Mass.) 1:09:29; 15. Jason De Lorme (37, Natick, Mass.) 1:10:29; 16. Bob Meikle (56, Sayre, Penn.)1:10:51; 17. Tom Fagan (51, Stow, Mass.) 1:10:56; 18. Kristen Gohr (42, Reading, Mass.) 1:11:18; 19. Ben Dalzell (20, Williamstown, Mass.) 1:12:32; 20. Christopher Proudlove (42, Mountain Lakes, N.J.) 1:12:42; 21. John Anthony (38, East Lyme, Conn.) 1:12:50; 22. Mark McCarthy (64, Fairpoint, N.Y.) 1:14:01; 23. Jonah Thompson (14, Albuquerque, N.M.) 1:15:25; 24. William Dunkerley (49, Newton, N.H.) 1:15:29; 25. Jeffrey Kozlowski (42, East Lyme, Conn.) 1:15:32.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis playground effort gains community support - 0
- Kid Zenith members working to make a difference - 0
- Family with special needs students struggles with move - 0
- 'Hour of Code' taps student creativity - 1
- Fired Epping children's librarian gets public hearing - 0
- Hillsborough district names its Teacher of Year - 0
- Nashua Board of Education signals new leadership - 0
- PSU adjunct faculty members approve three-year contract - 0
- UNH, trustees seek to reverse arbitrator's decision to reinstate professor - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Scott Brown brings out protesters in NH
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Ice storm threatens the region
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840