Treadwell captures Newton's Revenge bicycle race
Dereck Treadwell, of Topsham, ME, won the annual Newton's Revenge bicycle race, up the 7.6 mile Mount Washington Auto Road, in Pinkham Notch, NH, on July 6th, 2013. Mr. Treadwell went on to win the race to the foggy 6,288' summit of Mount Washington, with a time of 58:14. (Dennis Coughlin)
A happy Alec Babala, of Nashua, NH, was the 2nd New Hampshire finisher in the annual Newton's Revenge bicycle race, up the 7.6 mile Mount Washington Auto Road, in Pinkham Notch, NH, on July 6th, 2013. The 21 year old Babala, finished the race to the 6,288' summit of Mount Washington, with a time of 1:16:45. (Dennis Coughlin)
Lea Davison (30) of Jericho, Vt., was the top finisher in the women's division. Her time of 1:05:54 was good enough to place her seventh overall.
Two more 38-year-olds, Timothy Ahearn of Woodstock, Conn., and Timothy Tapply of Shernorn, Mass., finished third and fourth respectively. Ahearn finished in 59:06 and Tapply in 1:01:56. Chris Yura (34, Bryn Mawr, Pa.) rounded out the top five with a time of 1:02:34.
The Newton's Revenge event began in 2006 when the Mount Washington Hillclimb (scheduled for Aug. 17 this year) became so popular that a second race was needed to accommodate the interested racers.
The course records also remained intact. The men's mark is 49:24, set by Tom Danielson of Connecticut in 2002. The women's record is 58:14 and belongs to France's Jeannie Longo (2000).
Wolfeboro's Brad Deshaies (also 14) shared the nod for youngest competitor with Thompson. Deshaies finished 82nd in 1:31:12.
Mt. Washington Auto Road
Newton's Revenge Bicycle Hillclimb Top 25
1. Dereck Treadwell (38, Topsham, Maine) 58:14; 2. Eric Follen (38, Sanford, Maine) 58:18; 3. Timothy Ahearn (38, Woodstock, Conn.) 59:06; 4. Timothy Tapply (38, Sherborn, Mass.) 1:01:56; 5. Chris Yura (34, Bryn Mawr, Pa.) 1:02:34; 6. Erik Vandendries (48, Chestnut Hill, Mass.) 1:05:53; 7. Lea Davison (30, Jericho, Vt.) 1:05:54; 8. James Hayes (18, Wakefield, R.I.) 1:06:55; 9. Mark Johnson (54, Louisville, Colo.) 1:07:22; 10. Kai Wiggins (19, East Greenwich, R.I.) 1:08:35; 11. David O'Keeffe (54, Orchard Park, N.Y.) 1:08:46; 12. John Bayley (44, Watertown, Mass.) 1:08:58; 13. Jonathan Smela (37, Loveland, Colo.) 1:09:25; 14. Benjamin Koyle (42, Lynnfield, Mass.) 1:09:29; 15. Jason De Lorme (37, Natick, Mass.) 1:10:29; 16. Bob Meikle (56, Sayre, Penn.)1:10:51; 17. Tom Fagan (51, Stow, Mass.) 1:10:56; 18. Kristen Gohr (42, Reading, Mass.) 1:11:18; 19. Ben Dalzell (20, Williamstown, Mass.) 1:12:32; 20. Christopher Proudlove (42, Mountain Lakes, N.J.) 1:12:42; 21. John Anthony (38, East Lyme, Conn.) 1:12:50; 22. Mark McCarthy (64, Fairpoint, N.Y.) 1:14:01; 23. Jonah Thompson (14, Albuquerque, N.M.) 1:15:25; 24. William Dunkerley (49, Newton, N.H.) 1:15:29; 25. Jeffrey Kozlowski (42, East Lyme, Conn.) 1:15:32.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840