Pat Buchanan -- Equality: American Idol
The greater antagonist of liberty is not the quest for security, but our insatiable demand and inexorable drive for equality - not equality of rights but equality of results.
The federal estate tax is 40 percent for the wealthy. Some states tack on 16 percent. Individuals may spend entire lives acquiring wealth for their progeny. And governments, in the name of equality, will seize half of it on their deaths. Socialism, said Winston Churchill, is the philosophy of envy and gospel of greed.
Freedom of assembly, which produced men's and women's clubs and colleges, has been under assault for decades. Only a handful of men's colleges survive. Even Augusta National Golf Club was forced to conform to the dictates of diversity and equality.
"A man's home is his castle," was a concept we inherited from English law and proudly adopted as our own. No more. A man's right to sell or rent his home is restricted by open housing laws.
In the land of the free, such freedom is now illegal.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 0
- George Will: In California, Goldwater 2.0 - 1
- Jonah Goldberg: Will big business become the left's faithful lapdog? - 2
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Playing the race card at the border - 2
- Another View -- John Dumais: Mandatory GMO labeling is all cost, no benefit - 6
- Another View -- Stephen L. Carter: Why is the left going after profit? - 10
- Clifford D. May: Pinpointing the cause and effect in Gaza - 2
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 3
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 5
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 3
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Workers pulling for ex-Market Basket CEO's buyout bid; rally planned Friday before board meeting
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health