Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester teen pulled from Newton pond unconscious by other swimmers
The 17-year-old went by ambulance to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. His condition is not immediately known.
A lifeguard notified firefighters at 10:50 a.m. that a swimmer had not surfaced after being underwater about 15 minutes, Deputy Fire Chief John C. Owens said.
Other swimmers found the teen underwater, pulled him to shore and were performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters took over CPR and performed other life-saving measures, Owens said. The youth remained unconscious and unresponsive.
The teen was found near a swim raft within the roped-off swimming area patrolled by a lifeguard, Owens said. The water in the area of the raft is about 12 to 14 feet deep.
The lake, known as Country Pond, is located off Wenmarks Road.
"The water was like glass," Owens said of conditions yesterday morning.
The teen was from Manchester and visiting friends in Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Defense has let Sox down so far - 0
- Developers think Guard site would have big potential - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: The zealots win again - 0
- George Will: Regulatory overkill everywhere - 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- Jackson Ski Touring makes top U.S. skiing list - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Outdoor adventure adds to offerings at North Country B&B - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire