Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester teen pulled from Newton pond unconscious by other swimmers
The 17-year-old went by ambulance to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. His condition is not immediately known.
A lifeguard notified firefighters at 10:50 a.m. that a swimmer had not surfaced after being underwater about 15 minutes, Deputy Fire Chief John C. Owens said.
Other swimmers found the teen underwater, pulled him to shore and were performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters took over CPR and performed other life-saving measures, Owens said. The youth remained unconscious and unresponsive.
The teen was found near a swim raft within the roped-off swimming area patrolled by a lifeguard, Owens said. The water in the area of the raft is about 12 to 14 feet deep.
The lake, known as Country Pond, is located off Wenmarks Road.
"The water was like glass," Owens said of conditions yesterday morning.
The teen was from Manchester and visiting friends in Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 0
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 0
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 0
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 0
- Another View -- Cass R. Sunstein: The hidden tax you pay when you wait - 0
- John Stossel: Incumbents almost always win - 0
- New parking system troubles businesses in downtown Bristol - 0
- Hassan says helping veterans remains a priority - 0
- Lyndeborough settles suit with former police officers - 0
School's out for voters
Trump fired up over NH mailer