Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester teen pulled from Newton pond unconscious by other swimmers
The 17-year-old went by ambulance to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. His condition is not immediately known.
A lifeguard notified firefighters at 10:50 a.m. that a swimmer had not surfaced after being underwater about 15 minutes, Deputy Fire Chief John C. Owens said.
Other swimmers found the teen underwater, pulled him to shore and were performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters took over CPR and performed other life-saving measures, Owens said. The youth remained unconscious and unresponsive.
The teen was found near a swim raft within the roped-off swimming area patrolled by a lifeguard, Owens said. The water in the area of the raft is about 12 to 14 feet deep.
The lake, known as Country Pond, is located off Wenmarks Road.
"The water was like glass," Owens said of conditions yesterday morning.
The teen was from Manchester and visiting friends in Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Child Advocacy Centers offer safe place for abused to begin healing - 0
- Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire - 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Salem man faces DWI charge after Manchester crash - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'