Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester teen pulled from Newton pond unconscious by other swimmers
The 17-year-old went by ambulance to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. His condition is not immediately known.
A lifeguard notified firefighters at 10:50 a.m. that a swimmer had not surfaced after being underwater about 15 minutes, Deputy Fire Chief John C. Owens said.
Other swimmers found the teen underwater, pulled him to shore and were performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters took over CPR and performed other life-saving measures, Owens said. The youth remained unconscious and unresponsive.
The teen was found near a swim raft within the roped-off swimming area patrolled by a lifeguard, Owens said. The water in the area of the raft is about 12 to 14 feet deep.
The lake, known as Country Pond, is located off Wenmarks Road.
"The water was like glass," Owens said of conditions yesterday morning.
The teen was from Manchester and visiting friends in Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
- Nashua bicyclist hurt in collision with car - 0
- Three injured in Route 16 accident in Ossipee - 0
- State fire marshal urges eventual ban on all fireworks - 23
- Manchester welcomes 14 new police recruits - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Argentina tops Netherlands in shootout to reach final - 0
- Uehara named to AL all-star team - 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- NH man sought in connection with Maine murder arrested on unrelated charges - 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax