Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester teen pulled from Newton pond unconscious by other swimmers
The 17-year-old went by ambulance to Merrimack Valley Hospital in Haverhill, Mass. His condition is not immediately known.
A lifeguard notified firefighters at 10:50 a.m. that a swimmer had not surfaced after being underwater about 15 minutes, Deputy Fire Chief John C. Owens said.
Other swimmers found the teen underwater, pulled him to shore and were performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation when firefighters arrived.
Firefighters took over CPR and performed other life-saving measures, Owens said. The youth remained unconscious and unresponsive.
The teen was found near a swim raft within the roped-off swimming area patrolled by a lifeguard, Owens said. The water in the area of the raft is about 12 to 14 feet deep.
The lake, known as Country Pond, is located off Wenmarks Road.
"The water was like glass," Owens said of conditions yesterday morning.
The teen was from Manchester and visiting friends in Newton.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 2
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 0
Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH
Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior
Manchester mayor: 'It's the tax cap budget'