Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua woman among beachgoers who help rescue, resuscitate boys, man on Cape Cod
Three college buddies, spending the holiday with friends at a nearby beach house, stood knee-deep in the surf, watching swimmers frolic in the wind-whipped waves, when they noticed two boys and a man fighting to stay afloat as they were tugged outward by strong currents.
"It was just instinct," Chris Jones said Friday. The 23-year-old Mashpee resident and his friend Kyle Campana, 22, of Boxboro, took turns hefting a clingy John Smith Howell toward shore. Once they reached the shallows, a woman loaded the shaken 11-year-old onto her boogie board and took him to the safety of the beach.
Doherty, 22, of Stoneham, swam back out to retrieve Smith's 12-year-old brother, Kendrick Davis, and didn't notice Smith jumping back in the water behind him to join the rescue. It was a nearly fatal mistake for Smith, who was so exhausted he was unable to stay afloat.
Others then moved the seemingly lifeless Smith to a nearby beach, where a Connecticut woman performed chest compressions.
When Murphy saw Smith's body dragged from the water, she thought she might be able to help revive him, since she had been certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for a job as a nanny.
A breathing tube was removed Friday night so he was able to speak, she said.
Eric is not believed to have been in the water with his brothers and cousin. He ran to the pool at Green Harbor Resort to alert his aunt to the water rescue at the beach.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
- Annual banquet on April 23 honors police, fire and EMS - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sen. Odell won't seek re-election - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 8
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 21
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Central the early surprise in baseball ranks - 0
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 2
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 5
- P-Bruins in fight to finish - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Dubois' homer lifts BG girls over Exeter - 0
- Sox rally in ninth to win - 0
Portsmouth arrests 2 for heroin sales
Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start
Manchester superintendent kills controversial redistricting plan following parental opposition
Sen. Odell won't seek re-election