Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua woman among beachgoers who help rescue, resuscitate boys, man on Cape Cod
Three college buddies, spending the holiday with friends at a nearby beach house, stood knee-deep in the surf, watching swimmers frolic in the wind-whipped waves, when they noticed two boys and a man fighting to stay afloat as they were tugged outward by strong currents.
"It was just instinct," Chris Jones said Friday. The 23-year-old Mashpee resident and his friend Kyle Campana, 22, of Boxboro, took turns hefting a clingy John Smith Howell toward shore. Once they reached the shallows, a woman loaded the shaken 11-year-old onto her boogie board and took him to the safety of the beach.
Doherty, 22, of Stoneham, swam back out to retrieve Smith's 12-year-old brother, Kendrick Davis, and didn't notice Smith jumping back in the water behind him to join the rescue. It was a nearly fatal mistake for Smith, who was so exhausted he was unable to stay afloat.
Others then moved the seemingly lifeless Smith to a nearby beach, where a Connecticut woman performed chest compressions.
When Murphy saw Smith's body dragged from the water, she thought she might be able to help revive him, since she had been certified in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for a job as a nanny.
A breathing tube was removed Friday night so he was able to speak, she said.
Eric is not believed to have been in the water with his brothers and cousin. He ran to the pool at Green Harbor Resort to alert his aunt to the water rescue at the beach.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 3
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 2
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
LNG plant put 'on hold'