Home » Sports » Baseball » Fisher Cats/EL
On Baseball: NH's Stroman takes flight
Stroman set a career-high for strikeouts by fanning 13 in the loss. The 13 strikeouts also tied the franchise record for strikeouts in a game set by Gustavo Chacin in 2004.
"He has electric stuff every time he goes out there. It's just a matter of if he commands it or not."
"You can tell when a pitcher is feeling good," he said. "They get in that rhythm. They want the ball back quickly. They want that sign down quickly. They want to make that next pitch because they're executing very well that day."
Stroman allowed three runs on six hits in 6 2/3 innings against New Britain. Sixty two of his 99 pitches were strikes.
"It's usually my go-to pitch anyway, but I've been working on it trying to create depth. The goal is have it look like a fastball coming out of my hand, and the last couple feet to drop down. That's exactly the action it had.
Stroman was suspended for 50 games last August for testing positive for methylhexanamine, a banned substance. He's 4-2 with a 3.38 ERA in nine starts this season. He has 50 strikeouts in 42 2/3 innings and opposing batters are hitting .235 against him.
Signore said Stroman has to work on his delivery so that the ball travels downhill after it leaves his hand.
New Hampshire infielder Ryan Schimpf entered Thursday night's game against Binghamton with a league-leading 16 home runs. … Binghamton began the night with three players among the top 10 Eastern League players in batting average: right fielder Cesar Puello (.329/third), designated hitter Allan Dykstra (.316/fifth) and third baseman Josh Rodriguez (.300/ninth). …
Sean Nolin pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning and his teammates pounded out 11 hits to lead the Fisher Cats to a 6-1 win over the Rock Cats in New Britain, Conn., on Wednesday.
Ryan Schimpf had three hits, including a homer. Clint Robinson added three hits and Brad Glenn cracked a pair of doubles.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- No agreement reached in Seabrook Station labor talks - 0
- Seabrook plant close to lockout in union dispute - 53
- Wind-power foes object to forum sites - 10
- Decision on merits of PSNH scrubber goes back to PUC - 1
- Grafton residents glad to be dropped from wind project - 1
- Planned PSNH station closing has Hillsborough concerned - 4
- Fitzwilliam mining foes hold fundraiser - 1
- House to vote on bill encouraging projects such as Northern Pass to bury power lines - 1
- Lawmakers see another chance for wind farm reform - 1
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up