Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Diaz earned his shot
Red Sox shortstop Jose Iglesias, left, greets pinch runner Jonathan Diaz, center, after Diaz scored the winning in Boston's walk-off win over the Blue Jays Sunday at Fenway Park. Diaz spent seven years in Toronto's minor-league system, including parts of five seasons with the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. (USA TODAY SPORTS)
Since 2006 he’d been drafted, signed, played at five levels, got promoted or demoted 11 times, was granted free agency by the Blue Jays, agreed to join the Red Sox, and settled into his new organization at Triple-A — but he’d never earned The Call to the big leagues. So the question came naturally.
Then it did. Last Saturday, as he was preparing to play his 764th minor-league game, the phone rang and Diaz was told it was time to come to Boston. By then it was already 12:15 p.m., and first pitch that Saturday afternoon was at 4, so he packed his wife and three kids into the car as quickly as possible and headed north on I-95 from Pawtucket. Typically the drive takes an hour; Diaz jokes that he made it in 30 minutes.
“Amazing,” he said. “Imagine something you’ve worked for your entire life, a dream since you were a little kid. Definitely an amazing feeling.”
“He works as hard as anybody, and he’s probably one of the best defensive players I’ve ever played with. He’s unbelievable,” said Snyder, who has been starting at third base, and homered Thursday. And who compared Diaz to another of his former PawSox teammates: Jose Iglesias.
“The way I went about it was just stay positive, go about my business, and expect the best,” Diaz said. “It ended up working out — and I’m happy I can at least say that I made it to the big leagues.”
Dave D’Onofrio covers the Red Sox for the New Hampshire Union Leader and Sunday News. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
- Soderberg, Smith lead Bruins to victory - 0
- Strong third period helps Senators end Bruins hex - 0
- Former Monarchs lift Kings over Islanders - 0
- Lucic goal lifts Bruins to overtime victory - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice