Home » News » Public Safety
Weare gets outside help to get new chief
According to Thomas Clow, board chairman, the town has signed an agreement with Municipal Resources Inc. (MRI) to help search for a new chief to replace Chief Gregory Begin, who retired at the end of May.
Art Walker, former Keene Police Department chief, is serving as police administrator.
“After that, they’ll bring to the board three to six candidates,” said Clow.
“We want to make sure we have the right person for the job,” said Clow.
Weare has had a run of controversial police chiefs including Begin, who has left the town with two federal lawsuits for alleged civil rights violations as well as a pending lawsuit by former employee Sgt. Louis Chatel.
Begin was the first chief elected to the position and won reelection twice, but in March, voters changed the role of chief back to an appointed position, giving selectmen control over hiring.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 1
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll
NH senators react to Hagel resignation