Epping woman suspects a bear stole her purse
Several bear sightings have been reported in town in recent weeks, including in the area of the 699 blueberry bushes at her farm on Blake Road.
She was so convinced, that she reported her suspicion to police this week.
A bear has been spotted wandering around her property and even ripped down one of her bird feeders and another feeder at a neighbor’s house.
While there have been numerous sightings, police Capt. Jason Newman said there have been no incidents.
Parke’s purse vanished after she arrived home around 8 p.m. Sunday and set it down on the steps while opening her door.
Parke discovered her purse missing Monday and began to suspect a bear. Her house sits off the road and she doesn’t believe anyone would have seen the purse sitting there.
“It’s just puzzling,” she said.
Mark Ellingwood, chief of the state Fish and Game’s Wildlife Division, said a bear carrying off a purse wouldn’t be a common behavior, but then again, bears are known to haul away bird feeders and other things with scents that attract them.
“It would be an extraordinarily uncommon event, but that said, who knows?,” he said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice - 5
- Peterborough receives EPA ‘green power’ award - 0
- Work on largest solar project in state begins in Peterborough - 0
- 24-mile transmission line project could begin in late 2016 - 0
- Conflict rises over Millsfield agreement with wind farm - 0
- New Hampshire's energy future in 'crisis' - 53
- Gas pipeline talk in southern NH surprises many officials in towns by alternative route - 1
- Wind-power developer eyes Alexandria area again - 2
- Keystone bill passes U.S. House - 42
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 0
- City championship on the line Thanksgiving Day - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket - 0
- On being American: A point for reflection - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: 'Tis the season for budget games and gimmicks - 0
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 0
- Manchester school exec contract squeaks by - 0
- Dartmouth gets 10 picks on All-Ivy team - 0
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Manchester school exec contract squeaks by
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
On being American: A point for reflection