Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics put trust in young (36) Stevens
But in truth, Danny Ainge's first thoughts turned to Butler's Brad Stevens two Sundays ago, at roughly the same time Doc Rivers' departure for the Los Angeles Clippers was finalized.
Though Rivers kept an ear open to the stat-based evaluations that became increasingly important to the C's under the direction of Ainge, Ryan McDonough (now the general manager in Phoenix) and director of player personnel Austin Ainge, the new Clippers coach was decidedly old-school.
"This is a real (down-to-earth) guy. (Stevens) is very poised, just a very calm kind of coach."
"Some organizations are just looking to make that turnaround so quick," the source said. "I don't think you're going to be seeing that at play here."
At 33, he became the second-youngest coach in NCAA history to reach the national championship game, and also set an NCAA record for wins by a coach in his first three years with 89.
Or perhaps the Celtics brand simply was too rare an opportunity to pass up.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hundreds turn out for annual Newfound Turkey Trot - 0
- Manchester, Derry road races draw more than 3,600 trotters - 0
- Holiday road, trail races aplenty across NH - 0
- Wobble 'n' Gobble run set for Thanksgiving in Franconia - 0
- Wolfeboro Turkey Trot aids Lions Club, food pantries - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Communities reap economic benefits from road races - 0
- Road issues bring future Hampton marathons into question - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Time has come for NH road racing Hall of Fame - 0
- Andy Schachat's On The Run: How big are NH races going to get? - 0
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0