Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics put trust in young (36) Stevens
But in truth, Danny Ainge's first thoughts turned to Butler's Brad Stevens two Sundays ago, at roughly the same time Doc Rivers' departure for the Los Angeles Clippers was finalized.
Though Rivers kept an ear open to the stat-based evaluations that became increasingly important to the C's under the direction of Ainge, Ryan McDonough (now the general manager in Phoenix) and director of player personnel Austin Ainge, the new Clippers coach was decidedly old-school.
"This is a real (down-to-earth) guy. (Stevens) is very poised, just a very calm kind of coach."
"Some organizations are just looking to make that turnaround so quick," the source said. "I don't think you're going to be seeing that at play here."
At 33, he became the second-youngest coach in NCAA history to reach the national championship game, and also set an NCAA record for wins by a coach in his first three years with 89.
Or perhaps the Celtics brand simply was too rare an opportunity to pass up.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
- Meredith man gets McQuillen Award for service to vets - 0
- Wright Museum in Wolfeboro to preserve Walter Healy's story - 0
- Auburn students get special visitor - 0
- Wounded warrior needs some help - 0
- VAMC Manchester : Try quitting smoking today - 0
- New Hampshire Veterans News in Brief - 0
- Bedford town council honors World War II veterans - 0
- Bill seeks to name Derry bridge for Marine - 0
READER COMMENTS: 7
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 1
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 1
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 7
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 1
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up