Home » Sports » Basketball » Celtics/NBA
Celtics put trust in young (36) Stevens
But in truth, Danny Ainge's first thoughts turned to Butler's Brad Stevens two Sundays ago, at roughly the same time Doc Rivers' departure for the Los Angeles Clippers was finalized.
Though Rivers kept an ear open to the stat-based evaluations that became increasingly important to the C's under the direction of Ainge, Ryan McDonough (now the general manager in Phoenix) and director of player personnel Austin Ainge, the new Clippers coach was decidedly old-school.
"This is a real (down-to-earth) guy. (Stevens) is very poised, just a very calm kind of coach."
"Some organizations are just looking to make that turnaround so quick," the source said. "I don't think you're going to be seeing that at play here."
At 33, he became the second-youngest coach in NCAA history to reach the national championship game, and also set an NCAA record for wins by a coach in his first three years with 89.
Or perhaps the Celtics brand simply was too rare an opportunity to pass up.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Green, Celtics blow out Cavs - 0
- Celtics late rally falls short - 0
- Crawford, Celtics ease past Bobcats - 0
- Celtics top Hawks to halt six-game skid - 0
- Spurs top Celtics to extend win streak - 0
- Timberwolves hand Celtics third straight loss - 0
- Aldridge double-double sends Celtics to loss - 0
- Warning sign saves former St. A hoop coach Clifford - 0
- Bobcats end Celtics' four-game win streak - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 1
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list