Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Rookie Webster's win caps Sox sweep
Rookie right-hander Allen Webster picked up his first major league win, improving to 1-2. He went six innings, giving up two runs, five hits and four walks with four strikeouts.
“(Craig) Breslow came in and gave me the (game) ball. I think I’m going to give it to my dad.”
“Not unlike the last couple nights, the Red Sox made him work for every out,” San Diego manager Bud Black said. “That was sort of the theme for this series, where they’re very good two-strike hitters, they foul tough pitches off, they don’t swing at balls.”
Boston added a run in the second on Brandon Snyder’s home run for a 3-0 lead.
Both teams got a run in the fifth. Venable doubled and scored on Jesus Guzman’s single. Napoli hit a two-out ground-rule double and then scored on Jonny Gomes’ single.
The Padres have lost six straight games, scoring two or fewer runs in each of those games.NOTES: Venable returned to the Padres’ lineup after being sidelined for three games with a sore left hamstring. ... Snyder hit his first home run with the Red Sox in the second inning. It was his fourth major league home run and first since May 15, 2012, for the Rangers against the Kansas City Royals. All three of his previous home runs came last season. ... Red Sox RHP Clay Buchholz threw from 90 feet on Thursday, the first time he has thrown on three consecutive days since he went on the DL on June 9. He is expected to have a no-throw day today and resume throwing from 105 feet after that. There is no timetable on a return to the roster for him. ... Boston SS Stephen Drew has been sidelined since last Friday with tightness in his right hamstring. The Red Sox are hoping to avoid a stint on the disabled list with him.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Study of New Hampshire veterans spurs drive to help them - 0
- Wreath laid on Pierce grave in Concord - 0
- Bedford Women's Club to recognize Air Force veteran Dieter - 0
- Meredith man gets McQuillen Award for service to vets - 0
- Wright Museum in Wolfeboro to preserve Walter Healy's story - 0
- Auburn students get special visitor - 0
- Wounded warrior needs some help - 0
- VAMC Manchester : Try quitting smoking today - 0
- New Hampshire Veterans News in Brief - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 0
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list