Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Rookie Webster's win caps Sox sweep
Rookie right-hander Allen Webster picked up his first major league win, improving to 1-2. He went six innings, giving up two runs, five hits and four walks with four strikeouts.
“(Craig) Breslow came in and gave me the (game) ball. I think I’m going to give it to my dad.”
“Not unlike the last couple nights, the Red Sox made him work for every out,” San Diego manager Bud Black said. “That was sort of the theme for this series, where they’re very good two-strike hitters, they foul tough pitches off, they don’t swing at balls.”
Boston added a run in the second on Brandon Snyder’s home run for a 3-0 lead.
Both teams got a run in the fifth. Venable doubled and scored on Jesus Guzman’s single. Napoli hit a two-out ground-rule double and then scored on Jonny Gomes’ single.
The Padres have lost six straight games, scoring two or fewer runs in each of those games.NOTES: Venable returned to the Padres’ lineup after being sidelined for three games with a sore left hamstring. ... Snyder hit his first home run with the Red Sox in the second inning. It was his fourth major league home run and first since May 15, 2012, for the Rangers against the Kansas City Royals. All three of his previous home runs came last season. ... Red Sox RHP Clay Buchholz threw from 90 feet on Thursday, the first time he has thrown on three consecutive days since he went on the DL on June 9. He is expected to have a no-throw day today and resume throwing from 105 feet after that. There is no timetable on a return to the roster for him. ... Boston SS Stephen Drew has been sidelined since last Friday with tightness in his right hamstring. The Red Sox are hoping to avoid a stint on the disabled list with him.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vin Sylvia: Making the case for Carpenter - 0
- Vin Sylvia: Newly retired Chris Carpenter planning to move back to NH - 0
- Gomes hopes Red Sox retain all their free agents - 0
- Carpenter lauded as one of Cardinals' all-time greats - 1
- Amherst's Huntington runner-up to Cherington - 0
- Cherington garners Executive of the Year - 0
- Red Sox extend offers to Elsbury, Napoli and Drew - 0
- Dave D'Donofrio's Sox Beat: Redemption Sox - 0
- Triumphant Boston celebrates Series in grand style - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false