All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left. | Register | Sign In


Careless disposal of smoking materials blamed for Manchester fire displacing 13


MANCHESTER — Careless disposal of smoking materials sparked an early-morning fire Thursday that chased 13 people from a West Side apartment building and caused about $20,000 in damage, authorities said.


First-arriving firefighters found fire extending to the building's third-floor at 215 Notre Dame Avenue just after 3:45 a.m., according to District Fire Chief Michael Gamache.


Smoke began engulfing the building, and firefighters evacuated the sleeping occupants. Firefighters also had to contend with access issues since the building sits on the corner of Raiche Lane, a narrow road with a steep incline, Gamache said.


Fire crews were able to save both units. No one was injured.