All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Careless disposal of smoking materials blamed for Manchester fire displacing 13

MANCHESTER — Careless disposal of smoking materials sparked an early-morning fire Thursday that chased 13 people from a West Side apartment building and caused about $20,000 in damage, authorities said.

First-arriving firefighters found fire extending to the building's third-floor at 215 Notre Dame Avenue just after 3:45 a.m., according to District Fire Chief Michael Gamache.

Smoke began engulfing the building, and firefighters evacuated the sleeping occupants. Firefighters also had to contend with access issues since the building sits on the corner of Raiche Lane, a narrow road with a steep incline, Gamache said.

Fire crews were able to save both units. No one was injured.


Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety

NH Angle