Home » News » Public Safety
Rafters have close call on Livermore Falls
According to Holderness Deputy Fire Chief Earl Hanson, the five were floating down the river on inexpensive plastic tube rafts and apparently went over Livermore Falls as the river flows from Campton, through Plymouth to Holderness.
Two women who were on the raft managed to make their way to shore.
The three men in their party were in the water longer, to the point where members of local dive teams were summoned to join the search.
Rescuers saved one man by lowering a rope from a perch above the swift-moving river to the man as he held onto a rock in the river.
The Pemigewasset is running faster than usual because of a series of rainstorms in recent weeks, officials said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 7
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m