Home » News » Public Safety
Calls along the Merrimack River keep fire crews hopping July 4th
"A big wave came over the kayak and I was floating from then on," said Forand, one of four Manchester kayakers maneuvering the Merrimack River from Manchester to Merrimack.
Manchester fire crews were busy with water-related calls.
They used chains to help secure a dock — with about a half-dozen boats attached — that was breaking away from shore at 17 Riverfront Drive.
While crews were there, they saw a wakeboarder having trouble in the Merrimack and were yelling that a dam was up ahead. The boat the wakeboarder was with had to get in front of the troubled wakeboarder, pulling him into the boat underneath the Amoskeag bridge near a safety cable strung across the river, south of the bridge, Michael said.
"It was a close call," he said, noting the wakeboarder could have been killed if not rescued in time.
Michael said the current in the Merrimack is about 33 percent "above normal in strength."
"I just flipped," he said. "We're all good swimmers."
Normand Forand's nephew, Chris Forand, said, "I was embarrassed" the fire department was called out.
"We have to get to our cars," Albright said.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
- One-alarm fire kept to chimney area of Bridgewater home - 0
- Nashua woman hurt in Pelham crash - 0
- Man hurt in fall from tree stand in Swanzey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
- Strong start lifts Bedford to win - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
A new era for Nashua's police force
Haylee Ann-Marie Patten
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'