Home » News » Public Safety
Calls along the Merrimack River keep fire crews hopping July 4th
"A big wave came over the kayak and I was floating from then on," said Forand, one of four Manchester kayakers maneuvering the Merrimack River from Manchester to Merrimack.
Manchester fire crews were busy with water-related calls.
They used chains to help secure a dock — with about a half-dozen boats attached — that was breaking away from shore at 17 Riverfront Drive.
While crews were there, they saw a wakeboarder having trouble in the Merrimack and were yelling that a dam was up ahead. The boat the wakeboarder was with had to get in front of the troubled wakeboarder, pulling him into the boat underneath the Amoskeag bridge near a safety cable strung across the river, south of the bridge, Michael said.
"It was a close call," he said, noting the wakeboarder could have been killed if not rescued in time.
Michael said the current in the Merrimack is about 33 percent "above normal in strength."
"I just flipped," he said. "We're all good swimmers."
Normand Forand's nephew, Chris Forand, said, "I was embarrassed" the fire department was called out.
"We have to get to our cars," Albright said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Driver was trying to kill himself
NH reps eyeing budget deal
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072