Local herbalist to offer program at Derry Public Library
DERRY — The Derry Public Library will be digging a little deeper into the benefits and healing properties of herbs on Wednesday, July 10.
Herbalist Maria Noel Groves from Wintergreen Botanicals will be at the library from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. to present “Herbs to Grow and Use.”
“The theme of the adult summer reading program is ‘Digging into Derry,’” said adult services librarian Sherry Bailey. “I decided a gardening program like Maria’s would bring in the literal interpretation of digging to offset the more metaphorical research-oriented programs coming up.”
During Groves’ program, participants will learn about the medicinal benefits of some common and uncommon herbs they can include in their gardens.“Maria will discuss her favorite easy-to-grow garden herbs, their multifaceted healing properties, delicious flavors and how to create a variety of medicinal treatments from them, from stress-relieving teas to wound care,” said Bailey.Groves runs Wintergreen Botanicals Herbal Clinic and Education Center in the pine forests of Bear Brook State Park. She has been working with herbs for more than 15 years and has been trained by some of the country’s top herbalists, according to Bailey.
She sees clients, teaches widely and writes about herbs for Herb Quarterly, Tea Magazine, Natural Health, and other national publications.
The program is free and is part of the Derry Public Library Summer Reading Program for adults. Registration is strongly suggested since Groves will be bringing tea samples for everyone to taste.
Visit www.derrypl.org or call 432-6140 to register.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.