Locke may start Wednesday night for Pirates
Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle said Conway native and pitcher Jeff Locke could get the start Wednesday night in a home game against Philadelphia. Locke was scratched from his scheduled start on Tuesday against the Phillies. The Pirates recalled Brandon Cumpton from Triple-A Indianapolis to start Tuesday’s game in place of Locke, who is 7-1 with a 2.06 ERA.
The reason Locke didn’t pitch Tuesday was because he warmed up extensively Sunday against the Milwaukee Brewers and was set to enter a 1-1 game in the 15th inning. But it never happened because the Pirates won the game in the 14th frame when Russell Martin drove in the winning run.
“Jeff was obviously very aggressive in his bullpen because he was going in to pitch the 15th inning,” Hurdle said. “He’s been a very honest self-evaluator for us.”
Hurdle said if Locke doesn’t start tonight, Jeanmar Gomez will likely get the start. Gerrit Cole will still make his scheduled start Thursday against the Phillies.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.