Tornado warnings topped off a stormy day in Granite State
"The instability was causing storms to pop up and quickly die out. It's the same pattern that we've been having for the past week," said Alyssa Hammond, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Taunton, Mass.
The tornado threat surprised many people who were expecting only bouts of heavy rain. But as the thunderstorms formed, Hammond said they began to show rotation on radar.
The heaviest rain was concentrated on the southern part of the state, said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine. The National Weather Service posted watches through this morning with 1 to 3 inches of rain expected to cause street flooding, washouts and rapid rises in some streams and rivers.
Despite all the rain in recent days, the Fourth of July looks glorious weather-wise.
New Hampshire has just experienced the 10th wettest June on record. June's recorded rainfall was 6.78 inches.
Union Leader Correspondent Dan Seufert contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
- Threat of thunderstorms pushes Dover fireworks to Sunday - 0
- Weather could lead to fireworks postponement in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee