Tornado warnings topped off a stormy day in Granite State
"The instability was causing storms to pop up and quickly die out. It's the same pattern that we've been having for the past week," said Alyssa Hammond, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Taunton, Mass.
The tornado threat surprised many people who were expecting only bouts of heavy rain. But as the thunderstorms formed, Hammond said they began to show rotation on radar.
The heaviest rain was concentrated on the southern part of the state, said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine. The National Weather Service posted watches through this morning with 1 to 3 inches of rain expected to cause street flooding, washouts and rapid rises in some streams and rivers.
Despite all the rain in recent days, the Fourth of July looks glorious weather-wise.
New Hampshire has just experienced the 10th wettest June on record. June's recorded rainfall was 6.78 inches.
Union Leader Correspondent Dan Seufert contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow slows NH rush hour; cancels many evening events - 1
- Manchester extends snow emergency; pedestrian injured when hit by plow - 1
- Seacoast digs out from more than a foot of snow - 0
- Snowfall totals in NH vary from 7 inches to more than a foot. - 0
- Manchester police say no major snow-related problems - 2
- Winter storm brings a foot of snow to most of NH - 0
- Slow down NH, and smell the snowplows - 4
- Keep it simple and be prepared for winter storm driving in NH - 0
- Storm packing heavy snow bears down on U.S. Midwest, Northeast - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'