Tornado warnings topped off a stormy day in Granite State
"The instability was causing storms to pop up and quickly die out. It's the same pattern that we've been having for the past week," said Alyssa Hammond, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Taunton, Mass.
The tornado threat surprised many people who were expecting only bouts of heavy rain. But as the thunderstorms formed, Hammond said they began to show rotation on radar.
The heaviest rain was concentrated on the southern part of the state, said James Brown, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Gray, Maine. The National Weather Service posted watches through this morning with 1 to 3 inches of rain expected to cause street flooding, washouts and rapid rises in some streams and rivers.
Despite all the rain in recent days, the Fourth of July looks glorious weather-wise.
New Hampshire has just experienced the 10th wettest June on record. June's recorded rainfall was 6.78 inches.
Union Leader Correspondent Dan Seufert contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Reports: No major damage caused by latest mixed precipitation storm - 0
- Storm blasts state with messy mix - 0
- Rainy forecast forces Portsmouth to cancel Christmas parade; tree lighting still on - 0
- NHDOT: Snow, sleet causing no traffic problems on state's highways - 0
- Utilities tallying up the damage - 3
- Elliot Hospital serves dinner to those affected by power outages - 0
- Power outages down to final few - 2
- Lights, heat making slow return - 7
- Day Three in the dark for many in NH - 9
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads