Rain washes away $1M worth of Route 12A in Alstead
Flash flooding washed out parts of Route 12A in Alstead over the weekend, forcing transportation officials to close the road for at least two months. (NHDOT)
"These are the exact locations that were washed out in the 2005 flooding," Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said Monday of the Oct. 9, 2005, deluge that claimed four lives in town.
Route 12A is closed between Carpenter Road in Surry and Peabody Lane in Alstead, but the majority of the damage is between Walpole Valley Road and Chartier Lane in Alstead, Boynton said.
DOT engineers plan to take a close look at how to repair the road in a way that would prevent damage like this in the future, whether by shifting the roadway or bringing in a substantial amount of fill, Boynton said.
District engineer Doug Graham said the current estimate to fix the road is about $1 million.
Selectman Matthew Saxton said the 2005 repairs were undone Friday night.
"That was sort of a big expensive job in 2005, and now they have to do it again eight years later," he said. "It's very tight there so I would be interested to see what they come up with there."
At one point, 12 town roads were closed. The town's emergency management department was out in force Friday night closing roads, putting out orange cones as well as stationing people to warn motorists. Washed-out roads and shoulders were temporarily fixed with gravel over the weekend and will be repaved in the next few weeks, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mid-April freezing and flooding give Granite Staters a rude awakening - 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
- Spring roads make the going tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
- House committee opposes bill to keep mental health records out of federal gun checks - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing