Rain washes away $1M worth of Route 12A in Alstead
"These are the exact locations that were washed out in the 2005 flooding," Department of Transportation spokesman Bill Boynton said Monday of the Oct. 9, 2005, deluge that claimed four lives in town.
Route 12A is closed between Carpenter Road in Surry and Peabody Lane in Alstead, but the majority of the damage is between Walpole Valley Road and Chartier Lane in Alstead, Boynton said.
DOT engineers plan to take a close look at how to repair the road in a way that would prevent damage like this in the future, whether by shifting the roadway or bringing in a substantial amount of fill, Boynton said.
District engineer Doug Graham said the current estimate to fix the road is about $1 million.
Selectman Matthew Saxton said the 2005 repairs were undone Friday night.
"That was sort of a big expensive job in 2005, and now they have to do it again eight years later," he said. "It's very tight there so I would be interested to see what they come up with there."
At one point, 12 town roads were closed. The town's emergency management department was out in force Friday night closing roads, putting out orange cones as well as stationing people to warn motorists. Washed-out roads and shoulders were temporarily fixed with gravel over the weekend and will be repaved in the next few weeks, he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- For most, no choice but to hit the roads for stormy holiday travel - 3
- Coast Guard issues weather warning to coastal boaters - 0
- Coast Guard issues weather warning to boaters - 0
- Man crushed by wind-felled tree in Laconia as powerful winds follow frigid air; thousands without power - 0
- Slick roads eyed for holiday - 0
- Granite Staters arrived in Philippines just after typhoon hit - 0
- Granite Staters fly out to Phillipines to help after typhoon - 0
- Strong winds cut power to thousands across New Hampshire - 0
- State acts to shore up Gorham dam - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event