Home » News » Public Safety
No one injured as state fireworks safety demo comes to quick end after explosive mishap
The incident happened when State Fire Marshal William Degnan was showing members of the media the power of reloadable shells, which are designed to shoot a canister into the air that explodes into a shower of light.
Watermelons about the size of a volleyball were placed on top of fireworks about 75 feet away from where reporters stood with Degnan and other fire officials who were part of the safety news conference. The first demonstration went as expected, blowing the watermelon to bits, but the second went awry.
The propulsive blast of the shell destroyed the second watermelon as expected, but the decorative burst took an unexpected turn when several fireballs shot toward the onlookers. One glowing pink ember went almost straight to where Degnan stood behind a table covered with unused fireworks, many of them banned because they are considered too dangerous for the public to use.
Fire Marshal Investigator Chris Wyman ended the demonstration right then.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
- Plaistow police chief passes away after battle with cancer - 0
- Fire damages building at Jaffrey transfer station - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bonners host charity music festival in Portsmouth - 0
- He knows the Memorial Wall, name by name - 0
- NH to host New England governors, Eastern Canadian premiers in Mount Washington - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
Alewives and leeches; fireworks in the rain