Home » News » Public Safety
Gorham firefighters called to paper mill fire twice Monday
There were no injuries and Gorham Paper and Tissue lost little production Monday after work was interrupted for a time during one of its two 12-hour daily shifts, according to Gorham Fire Chief Rick Eichler.
The chief said after firefighters cleared the scene at about 3:40 a.m., they were called out again when fire erupted in the connector building made of plywood and dimension lumber, rather than the brick, concrete and steel that was used to build most of the mill.
Eichler and his firefighters returned, but the second time they summoned help from departments in Berlin, Shelburne, Randolph, Jefferson and Milan. The second part of the effort took about 3½ hours, and firefighters cleared the scene at about 8 a.m. Monday, Eichler said Tuesday, adding that an exact cause of the fire had not been determined.
The property near the Gorham-Berlin line has played a long and prominent role in the area. It was originally the site of a sawmill in the mid-19th century, and was home for more than a century to Brown Company paper products.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident wasn't wearing helmet - 0
- Too much FahrvergnŘgen: Nashua man charged with indecent exposure while driving - 2
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Garcia to air her first TV ad - 0
- Boston Red Sox hammer Jays for seven runs in 11th, win 11-7 - 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate