Jun 26, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 11, 2014
May 29, 2014
City man gets 43 years to life for shooting 2 years ago
James Conkle, 32, was charged with attempted murder and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Conkle was accused of shooting Casey Margraf on Sept. 17, 2011, in the rear driveway of his home on Valley Street. Margraf was able to identify the shooter as "James" to police as he lay bleeding, cradled in his father's arms.
Despite being shot twice and suffering from a critical brain injury, Margraf recuperated from his wounds and was able to testify at Conkle's trial, which concluded in April.
Conkle was sentenced today at Hillsborough County Superior Court North by Judge Kenneth Brown, who backed the prosecutor's recommended sentence.
At the hearing, Judge Brown noted that the defendant had shown no remorse for the victim, had lied during his trial testimony, and had previously been to prison for shooting another person, according to a press release from the office of Hillsborough County Attorney Patricia LaFrance.
The motive for the shooting was unclear, but Margraf told police shortly after the crime that it was related to a fight he had been having with Conkle's girlfriend.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man accused of burglarizing state police barracks garage claims his rights were violated - 0
- Marriott's parents to face killer at his sentencing next month - 0
- Second arrest made in Portsmouth store robberies - 0
- Probable cause hearings set for pair facing series of drug charges - 0
- Arrested school construction employees back at work in Unity - 0
- Dover man questioned regarding Maine double murder - 0
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
- Man arrested in two Portsmouth robberies - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Uehara named to AL all-star team - 0
- Stocks up after Fed minutes on 'easy money' exit - 0
- Portsmouth teen accused in DWI crash waives hearing - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 0
- Seeking to upend Hobby Lobby court ruling, federal legislation crafted - 0
- Firefighters rescue five 'lucky ducks' in Londonderry - 0
- Abortion clinic buffer put on hold after court ruling - 1
- FairPoint union members to meet and talk strike - 0
- Girlfriend says she told accused Boston bomber's friend to dump backpack - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
- Total Votes: 917