West wins: CHaD East-West All-Star Football game goes into OT
The game was tied at the end of regulation, and then Goffstown tailback Connor Benjamin scored on an 8-yard run in overtime to hand the West a 13-7 victory at the University of New Hampshire's Cowell Stadium.
The same overtime format used in NHIAA football games was used Saturday. Each team had a possession from the 10-yard line. The East had the ball first and moved to the 1 before Exeter's Jamie Vogt fumbled on third down.Benjamin's TD run came two plays later.
The West had a chance to win the game in regulation, but Portsmouth's Rick Holt blocked Zach Ziemba's 41-yard field goal attempt as time expired. Ziemba, who played at Manchester West, made the point-after kick following the West's first TD.
"Real good football game," East coach Bob Camirand said. "Obviously we were disappointed losing, but I can live with this. It was a great effort on both sides. Two quality teams and I thought two well-coached teams."
The East's best scoring chance in the first half was a 35-yard field goal attempt by Exeter's Logan Laurent that was wide left.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate holding rare Saturday vote on Fed pick Janet Yellen - 0
- Destruction of Berlin theater is ruled arson - 0
- Brady, Suggs set to renew bitter rivalry - 0
- West, Towson look to run past Eagles - 0
- Crowley leads Dover hockey past Kingswood - 0
- Beltran, Yankees make it official - 0
- Sabres pull away from Bruins - 0
- Bishop Guertin boys top Salem in OT - 0
- Wildcats will need to contend with Fargodome noise - 0
Beltran, Yankees make it official
Ice storm threatens the region
Gun-rights rally against Scott Brown gets rejection from city of Nashua; protesters say event will go on
Al Baldasaro may run for U.S. Senate
'Nutcracker' at Stockbridge
Plymouth hosts hearing on bill for tougher scrutiny of power projects such as Northern Pass
- Which of the following prospective candidates do you think the Red Sox should hire to replace Bobby Valentine as the team's manager?
- Sandy Alomar Jr.
- Brad Ausmus
- John Farrell
- DeMarlo Hale
- Torey Lovullo
- Dave Martinez
- Tony Pena
- Ryne Sandberg
- Joe Torre
- Jason Varitek
- Total Votes: 1840