Legislature's use of Renewable Energy Fund called 'bait and switch'
When the surplus was revealed in the fund's annual report last October, it was obviously low-hanging fruit for lawmakers trying to balance the state budget with limited options for new revenue. Asked about the likelihood of raiding the fund in May, Gov. Maggie Hassan said the state had to confront a variety of tough choices, especially if it was to avoid a Senate-proposed $50 million cut in state personnel costs.
The statute creating the renewable-energy program clearly states that the funds collected cannot be used for any other purpose, but the Legislature works around those restrictions by including this phrase when redirecting money from a dedicated fund: "notwithstanding any provision of the law to the contrary."
Ratepayers don't see a separate line for renewable-energy compliance on their electric bills. It's blended into the energy supply rate.
Epsen said lawmakers have made a practice of raiding dedicated funds to avoid accountability for tax increases.
The Renewable Energy Rebate program provides partial funding or rebates for residential and commercial installations, including wood-pellet boilers and solar panel arrays for electricity or hot water.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much? - 8
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 13
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
Red Sox' Holt has All-Star history