Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua Red Sox fan stabbed by Yankees fan wins $4.3M judgement against chowder house
Monte Freire, 45, of Nashua, was stabbed in the neck on Oct. 2, 2010, at the U.S.S Chowder Pot III restaurant in Branford, Conn.
"The jury found that the restaurant itself, the proprietor of the restaurant, was responsible for his injuries in that its employee, a bartender, was negligent in choosing not to intervene in a verbal argument that was escalating," said Attorney Timothy Pothin, who represented Freire.
"He has scars inside and out. He has had a hard time," Pothin said of his client, who is still the head groundskeeper for the city's Parks and Recreation Department.
"The bartender was warned twice that night, and he chose not to intervene," said Pothin, of Stratton Faxon Trial Lawyers LLC. "We felt very strongly that this was a case of egregious negligence."
It took a New Haven Superior Court jury three hours on Thursday to deliberate the case after a two-week trial.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
Havenstein: 'I'm a pro-choice Republican'
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'