Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua Red Sox fan stabbed by Yankees fan wins $4.3M judgement against chowder house
Monte Freire, 45, of Nashua, was stabbed in the neck on Oct. 2, 2010, at the U.S.S Chowder Pot III restaurant in Branford, Conn.
"The jury found that the restaurant itself, the proprietor of the restaurant, was responsible for his injuries in that its employee, a bartender, was negligent in choosing not to intervene in a verbal argument that was escalating," said Attorney Timothy Pothin, who represented Freire.
"He has scars inside and out. He has had a hard time," Pothin said of his client, who is still the head groundskeeper for the city's Parks and Recreation Department.
"The bartender was warned twice that night, and he chose not to intervene," said Pothin, of Stratton Faxon Trial Lawyers LLC. "We felt very strongly that this was a case of egregious negligence."
It took a New Haven Superior Court jury three hours on Thursday to deliberate the case after a two-week trial.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 1
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
- Bay State man hurt in Ripley Falls fall - 0
- Veteran Arizona officer named Rindge police chief - 3
- NH gun license form must change, critics say - 10
- Rimmon Heights honors Manchester Community Policing Division - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Motor Speedway to again host two Sprint Cup Series weekends in 2015 - 0
- St. Anselm football players practice ini August heat - 0
- White, Glenn lift Fisher Cats over Harrisburg, 6-4 - 0
- KSC field hockey first in coaches poll - 0
- New England Patriots guard Mankins traded to Tampa for TE Wright - 0
- NH Fisher Cat Lee still striving for making it to the major leagues - 0
- Former city restaurateur gets jail sentence for sex assault - 0
- Former high school art teacher gets suspended sentence in drug case - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 0
Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate