Jonah Goldberg: Immigration disagreements are tearing apart the GOP
The immigration reform proposal wending its way through the Senate is tearing the Republican Party to pieces. Poor Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., once the golden boy of the Tea Party and the conservative movement, is being treated like a guy who wants to leave a gang but must submit to a group beating first.
Still, Sanders' complaint — and his abdication — raises interesting issues. One reason the Democrats are having an easier time is that their stakeholders can cut deals and the constituencies will go along. Organized labor will get its carve-outs from the Democrats, as will business groups eager to work on a bipartisan basis.
Democrats are usually the ones decrying the pernicious global trends hampering prosperity for the working poor and middle class. And yet, their biggest priority is a bill that will accelerate those trends.
The hitch is that the right is just not in a trusting mood. They feel, with ample justification, that Washington, including the GOP, has been betraying them — by accident or on purpose — for too long. I can understand that completely. What baffles me is why rank-and-file Democrats don't feel the same way.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester teachers to hold 2nd contract vote following voting hours complaints - 22
- Alton educator selected as NH Teacher of the Year - 0
- USNH: Restore funding and we'll freeze tuition - 5
- Manchester, Hooksett will resume schools conversation - 2
- River Valley Community College planning for new president's inauguration - 0
- Singing a nationwide national anthem at St. Anselm College in Manchester - 0
- Manchester teachers union has contract concerns - 0
- Litchfield school superintendent surprised by board's decision - 0
- State, Lyndeborough agree on school bond repayment plan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- College Sports Roundup: No. 1 SNHU blanks Franklin Pierce - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Late goal wins it for Raymond in boys' soccer - 0
- Bucs bomb Buchholz, Sox fall in Castillo debut - 0
- Mass. resident arrested on warrant tied to Pelham donation jar theft - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 0
- Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost' - 0
- N.J. Gov. Christie stumps for Scott Brown in N.H. visit - 0
- Manchester SWAT team swoops in on South Mammoth Road home - 0
- Priceline exec to speak at New England College on Sept. 24 - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
USNH's raw deal: Part deux
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Labor fines proposed on school project