Home » News » Roads and Travel
Balancing Portsmouth bridge proves a problem
Archer Western Contractors are working to complete the final alignment of the recently installed center lift span of Portsmouth's Memorial Bridge.
To function most efficiently, the bridge counterweights and lift span have to be nearly perfectly balanced. Right now, the balance is within 10 percent, Cota said. The goal is around four percent, he said.Carol Morris, spokesman for Archer Western Contractors, said Tuesday that the lift span was intentionally made heavier because it is easier to remove weight than to add weight to the span's concrete deck. There is no problem with the concrete, she said.
"We are still waiting for them to come forward with a recommended solution we can accept, but we don't see that as being an element that is going to delay them any further," Cota said.
"We anticipated a certain level of difference, and they are in the process of fixing it and it is part of the standard process," Morris said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another busy summer seen for I-93 construction - 2
- More in Keene paying for parking by cellphone - 0
- Feds to earmark $2M for bridge and road repairs in White Mountain National Forest - 0
- I-93 expansion moves forward in Windham as funding concerns are rising - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester woman suffers injuries in dragging incident - 0
- Judge orders fired Manchester officer back to jail to finish sentence - 5
- Claremont police dispatcher charged with sex assault and incest, placed on leave - 0
- Speeding stop leads to drug and alcohol charges in Hollis - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Youngsters eye NHMS - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 1
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Mount Washington College to close 2 campuses
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release