Balancing Portsmouth bridge proves a problem
Archer Western Contractors are working to complete the final alignment of the recently installed center lift span of Portsmouth's Memorial Bridge.
To function most efficiently, the bridge counterweights and lift span have to be nearly perfectly balanced. Right now, the balance is within 10 percent, Cota said. The goal is around four percent, he said.Carol Morris, spokesman for Archer Western Contractors, said Tuesday that the lift span was intentionally made heavier because it is easier to remove weight than to add weight to the span's concrete deck. There is no problem with the concrete, she said.
"We are still waiting for them to come forward with a recommended solution we can accept, but we don't see that as being an element that is going to delay them any further," Cota said.
"We anticipated a certain level of difference, and they are in the process of fixing it and it is part of the standard process," Morris said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Traffic change Wednesday for Keene State move-in day - 0
- Historic Blair Bridge in Campton reopened - 1
- Creative ways to finance rail in NH pushed - 12
- Hudson grapples with traffic concerns as industrial park grows - 0
- Nashua transportation roundtable event canceled - 0
- Crews making progress on Derry's Rockingham Road - 1
- Crews make progress sprucing up Derry's Abbott Court, Central Court - 0
- Nashua aldermen asked to prioritize paving needs - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition at Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 in Rochester - 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 0
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too