Dec 19, 2013
Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Manchester shopping cart sting case is dead, prosecutor says
The case started in early December, when Manchester police arrested Ramasci after he took bagged merchandise and a purse with $60 from an unattended shopping cart at the T.J. Maxx plaza. Manchester police had placed the items in the cart as part of a sting designed to apprehend would-be thieves. Police charged him with misdemeanor theft of lost or mislaid property.
In his ruling, Lyons sided with defense attorney Joe Kelly Levasseur. The lawyer had argued that Ramasci could not be convicted of the crime because the property was neither lost nor mislaid — police knew where it was all the time.
A legal expert on Wednesday said an appeal would open Ramasci up to double jeopardy — the retrial of a defendant after an innocent verdict, a practice forbidden by the U.S. Constitution.
However, she said she will keep Lyons’ order in mind when making decisions about how to charge such crimes in the future.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man held in home invasion - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 6
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 4
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Former Sen. Scott Brown confirms move from Mass to NH - 3
- Hollis school officials call police on Santa Claus - 0
- Rusty water in Manchester caused by water main break in Bedford - 0
- Forecasters eye possible weekend ice storm - 0
- Abigail's mother issues plea for Christmas return - 1
- Fugitive caught hiding under bed in Jaffrey - 0
- Fugitive of the week: James Porter - 0
- Quick thinking closes the door on Somersworth fire - 0
- Milford fatal crash remains under investigation - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424