Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Manchester shopping cart sting case is dead, prosecutor says
The case started in early December, when Manchester police arrested Ramasci after he took bagged merchandise and a purse with $60 from an unattended shopping cart at the T.J. Maxx plaza. Manchester police had placed the items in the cart as part of a sting designed to apprehend would-be thieves. Police charged him with misdemeanor theft of lost or mislaid property.
In his ruling, Lyons sided with defense attorney Joe Kelly Levasseur. The lawyer had argued that Ramasci could not be convicted of the crime because the property was neither lost nor mislaid — police knew where it was all the time.
A legal expert on Wednesday said an appeal would open Ramasci up to double jeopardy — the retrial of a defendant after an innocent verdict, a practice forbidden by the U.S. Constitution.
However, she said she will keep Lyons’ order in mind when making decisions about how to charge such crimes in the future.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424