NH politicians, others react to same-sex marriage ruling
Demonstrators stand outside the U.S. Supreme Court on the day that the Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, Wednesday in Washington, D.C. (Pete Marovich/MCT)
A Supreme Court decision Wednesday changed that.
Gov. Maggie Hassan described the Supreme Court decisions as an "historic step forward" in a news release Wednesday.
Hassan was the majority leader in the New Hampshire Senate when lawmakers passed the same-sex marriage act in 2009, replacing earlier legislation that allowed couples to receive joint benefits through civil unions.
Ashley Pratte, executive director of the conservative group Cornerstone Action, called the rulings "disappointing," but said the Supreme Court's maneuver around Proposition 8 allows the issue to be decided on a state-by-state basis.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Former Manchester school chief Tom Brennan dies a year after he retired - 6
- Speedway, NH casino called a natural fit, track's GM says - 8
- Federal data shows which doctors reap Medicare millions - 3
- Privacy foremost at hearing on NH bill to restrict government spying, commercial use of drones - 18
- Six months later, Abigail's disappearance still a mystery - 1
- Retired judge reprimanded, told remarks were sexist - 5
- Judge issues no ruling on county attorney's suspension - 4
- Retired judge reprimanded for sexist remarks - 0
- Manchester officer cleared in domestic assault is subject of probe - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Legal Perspective -- Health care decision making: Pending legislation fills gap - 0
- GoShopNH offers workshop to NH artisans on selling their products online - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Be a student of your profession - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Lacrosse: Bedford proving Division I-worthy - 0
- NHIAA Baseball: Londonderry's Corey escapes seventh-inning jam in win - 0
- Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter - 0
- Top-ranked B's seek to tie up series - 0
- Bottoms up for Red Sox in win over Orioles - 0
- Struggling Fisher Cats defeated again - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire