NH politicians, others react to same-sex marriage ruling
Demonstrators stand outside the U.S. Supreme Court on the day that the Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act, Wednesday in Washington, D.C. (Pete Marovich/MCT)
A Supreme Court decision Wednesday changed that.
Gov. Maggie Hassan described the Supreme Court decisions as an "historic step forward" in a news release Wednesday.
Hassan was the majority leader in the New Hampshire Senate when lawmakers passed the same-sex marriage act in 2009, replacing earlier legislation that allowed couples to receive joint benefits through civil unions.
Ashley Pratte, executive director of the conservative group Cornerstone Action, called the rulings "disappointing," but said the Supreme Court's maneuver around Proposition 8 allows the issue to be decided on a state-by-state basis.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- All Saints' Episcopal picks a new rector - 0
- New rabbi joins Temple Israel of Portsmouth - 0
- Granite Staters set sights on Quebec pilgrimage - 0
- Pope begs forgiveness for 'sacrilegious cult' of Church sex abuse - 0
- Sudan releases Ibrahim, but insists she stay there - 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
- Music minister Grinnell leaving First Congregational Church - 0
- Bishop makes changes to Diocesan leadership structure - 0
- Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, children being held again in Sudan - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Gilles Bissonnette: To keep Libertarians off the ballot, NH violates their rights - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's counterweight to a strong central government - 0
- Tom Woodlock All-Stars primed for success in Babe Ruth tournament - 0
- Manchester waives right to buy Millyard building - 0
- Police search for missing Stratford woman - 0
- Blue Jays cool off Red Sox - 0
- Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 0
Passers-by, including two active-duty Army soldiers, help rescue mom, daughter in I-93 rollover
U.S. appeals courts issue conflicting rulings on Obamacare exchange subsidies such as NH's
- Should mortar-style firework sales to the public be prohibited?
- Total Votes: 1507